This blog has been relocated:
Please go here.
With Love,
Jason

.........................

I too am not a bit tamed....I too am untranslatable
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world
-Walt Whitman
From "Leaves of Grass"

.............................

I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.  I honor the place in you which is of love, of integrity, of understanding and of peace.  When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are One.
Namaste

........................

The future is an infinite succession of presents and to live now, as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself, a marvelous victory.
Howard Zinn

.............................

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

`America has power, Holland has Orange`

Well, the vegas of Europe has been an absolute blast but I am definitely ready to leave. Last night the Netherlands played hugely favored Italy in the first round of the Euro Cup. All of Amsterdam turned bright orange as loyal footballers abandoned the streets in order to catch the big match. I walked around the red light district with some newly acquired friends and gawked at the madness. It was quite an experience. Every pub was overflowing onto the streets with merry drunkards. After the first goal scored by Holland, the dude right next to me threw his pint straight into the air. Beer flying, glass breaking, people screaming crazy dutch words. It was quite the celebration when they ended up winning. I'm glad I stayed around long enough to catch the match.

The first two nights I camped at this cool spot about 15 minutes outside of town by tram. Located right on the water, the campsite was full of both young travelers and families enjoying a bit of kick back time. It reminded me a little of festie land (at least it smelled very similar). My last night there, I met this awesome 40 year old Sweedish dude who is living in Amsterdam working as a cook at the campgrouds. Every weekend he puts on a fire show for all of the campers. He was obliged to let me join him and I had an amazing time spinning for a hundred or so people from all over the world. "Go rasta boy, go!" His routine consisted of burning different parts of his body while screaming, "wow this hurts." I think he was trying to impress a money-spewing reaction out of the onlookers. He literally took a torch to his hair, let it burn for a second and then extinguished it as everyone was laughing. His poi skills were hilarious, I really thought the dude was gonna hurt himself.

I have been staying in a nuts hostel the last two nights located right in the belly of the beast. There are SO many awesome people from all over the world. Hung out yesterday with a German girl and a French girl and dude from Chile. I have probably walked about a hundred miles in the last week. There is definitely some American hatred around the hostel scene it seems (mainly by Canadians). It´s pretty funny, the only people you see sporting flag patches on their backpacks are Canadian. They are so afraid of being mistaken for Americans. It is just another expression of nationalism and solidarity that is tearing people apart instead of uniting them. I had a good conversation the other night with this embittered girl from Canada which led to a discussion of Zeitgeist, Pinchbeck and the need to rescue the biospere. She really had assumed that all Americans accepted Bush and the status quo. She was very affected by Zeitgeist (as are most people who see it I assume) and wasn't really able to see the light through the dark cloud of inconvenient information. We had a good talk and it felt good to relay my thoughts on many subjects and receive such warm and open reactions. I think that there is a need to realize that we are all the citizens of one world working together to accomplish the shared goals of peace and union. The attitude of seperateness is counterproductive and is a constant reminder of how we are different. I would like to introduce myself as a World citizen. I know that world citizens will have much more reach than will citizens of any one nation relying on the nationalistic pride that has catalyzed so many wars.

I am really having an incredible time and having the chance to pour many thoughts and ideas onto paper. I feel that there is a real need to rise above routines, responsibilities and ruts in order to perceive things in a new way. Having the rug of comfort torn out from under my feet has been eye-opening and enabled me to analyze how that rugs affects me and what it is concealing on the ground beneath. My mind is constantly titillated by the newness of everything around me and this is leading directly to my ability to be very aware of my thought patterns and conditioned responses to situations both comfortable and not-so-comfortable. So much insight to filter and reflect on. It is amazing to be alone and forced to adapt to my surroundings. It really sheds so much light on the nature of my consciousness and the parallels to my life in CO.

I am off to Paris to couchsurf with some 30 year old local dude. I am excited to have an insiders perspective of the city. After that, off to the south of France for more couchsurfing with a young girl from Marseille and some beach time.

I smell bad and have a gross beard. Yeah!

I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful Rocky Mountain (or elsewhere) summer. Many thoughts and hugs to all.

Pics soon....

Namaste

5 comments:

Supreme Ruler of Shred said...

"It is amazing to be alone and forced to adapt to my surroundings."

that is the best part of traveling kid...

spinningsarah said...

wow jason it all sounds incredible, i'm glad you're out there seeing the world and not only opening your own eyes but also helping others to do the same and see that you can't categorize a whole nation of people

keep spreading your love

kim said...

I find when traveling that people are generally the same and want the same things. And interested in another a point of view.I am so glad you are out there sharing your amazing spirit!Be safe.....Love you!

perpetuallyphil said...

rock on brother

do it
be it
love it

love you

Marisa Aragón Ware said...

You're a great writer Jason.