This blog has been relocated:
Please go here.
With Love,
Jason

.........................

I too am not a bit tamed....I too am untranslatable
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world
-Walt Whitman
From "Leaves of Grass"

.............................

I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.  I honor the place in you which is of love, of integrity, of understanding and of peace.  When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are One.
Namaste

........................

The future is an infinite succession of presents and to live now, as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself, a marvelous victory.
Howard Zinn

.............................

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Prague Smells Like Communism

What a crazy place.

The dichotomy of Praha is quite interesting. The stunning (and creepy) gothic architecture paired with the lore of the city of history filled with intellectuals, artists and affluent aristocrats collides quite chaotically with the hardships that are still so palpable stemming from the recovery of communism. Crumbling infrastructure and dirty streets mix with fantastic buildings and interesting culture. The city is unlike anything I have really experienced before and certainly not what I was expecting. I walked around a lot and soaked in the vibration of such an interesting coexistence of energies.

I spent a lot of time with a group of hilarious and insightful Scottish lads and an amazing girl from Australia. It was sad to say goodbye to them this morning...the only real downside to trekking around the globe. I didn't take very many pictures but here is a small taste....




2 comments:

jason_dozemay said...

Adriuntz-
A few months there must have been quite the experience. The language is impossible and the vibe is so strong. Where did you live? What the hell did you do the whole time? Holy Moley.


If you're at Rothbury right now make some scary biscuits faces for me.

Supreme Ruler of Shred said...

J Bo-

I lived like five minutes behind Prague Castle on the train in a real crappy place called Kolej Komenskeho. Yea it is a trip out there for sure. I picked up a little of the language, enough to get me by, other than that it is like a mix of russian, german, and czech combined into one, pretty tough to grasp.

Its weird seeing the effect that communism still has on that place. Some people are still trying to recover from it, sad but true. It is beautiful though and the architecture and people are pretty awesome. When I was out there I did a lot of drinking, a little school, and basically roamed the city for months discovering new places. It is awesome, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. It takes a little getting used to but once you settle in the possibilities are endless.

No Rothbury for me. Hope your trip is going well, looks and sounds like it is. Those Switzerland picks were incredible. Hook me some cheap tourist item sometime in your travels. See ya back state side, hopefully.

Peace